1. What is the Lease with a Right to Purchase Program?
Our Lease with a Right to Purchase Program (the “RTP Program”) allows you to find a home that you want to rent from us initially, but who may also like to buy at any time within the next three to five years.
You can lease the home for up to three to five years, depending on the state, and you may purchase the home from us at any time at a predetermined price in accordance with the Right to Purchase agreement.
2. Who is eligible for the RTP Program?
We have certain minimum criteria for our program. Your household must have an annual income of $45,000. You must have stable employment. We cannot accept you into our program if you or anyone in your household has a history of eviction or a pending bankruptcy. Everyone in your household will be subject to a criminal background check.
3. How do I apply to the RTP Program?
Every member of your household who is 18 years of age or older must complete the Pre-Qualification Application and the Full Application. The Full Application requires certain information, including residence and employment history, for each member of the household. You also must provide income verification for each member of the household whose income is to be considered in determining the rent approval amount in order for your application to be considered complete. If you are moving from a different state or starting a new job, we will need confirmation of your new job and income.
We will usually make a decision on your application within 1 to 3 business days of receiving all required information.
4. How much does it cost to participate in the RTP Program?
We have a one-time Application Fee between $75-$99 per household that must be paid online as part of the application process. This Application Fee covers all applicants in the household and is nonrefundable.
5. Why might my application be denied?
Household income, rent-to-income, and debt-to-income ratio, rental and housing history, employment history, criminal history, and FICO® score. We consider the profile of the entire household when reviewing an application. If your application is denied, you will receive notification in writing.
6. How do I find a home once I’m approved?
1. Located in an approved community (home is displayed on www.homepartners.com and is not adjacent to features that may negatively impair value);
2. Listed for between $100,000 and $350,000, though exceptions apply;
3. Located on a lot no more than two acres with a minimum of two bedrooms;
4. A single family home or fee-simple townhome; condo associations, condo interests, commercial and multi-family properties are not eligible for the RTP Program;
5. A traditional sale. Short sales, auctions, and REOs are not eligible for the RTP Program;
6. Free from material deficiencies;
7. No guest houses/ in-law suites with separate entrances;
Once you have selected a home, the REALTOR® must submit it to us online.
7. Is there a required deposit?
Yes. Generally, we require a deposit equal to two months’ rent. This deposit is not applied towards your rent. If you decide to leave the home at the end of any one-year lease term and you have been in compliance with the terms of the lease and return the home in the same condition it was in when you moved in (normal wear and tear excepted), the full deposit will be returned to you or credited to the purchase price if you buy the home. The full deposit (less any outstanding charges owed to Home Partners) is also returned to you if you exercise your Right to Purchase the home.
8. How long does it take from when I select a home to when I move in?
On average, it takes approximately five to six weeks from the time we enter into a purchase agreement for a home until the day you are able to move in. There are many things that affect the move-in timeframe, including the length of negotiation with the seller leading up to when we enter into a purchase agreement, what the home inspection reveals with respect to required repairs, and the renovations you request.
9. What happens after I move in?
You are our tenant, and we are your landlord. You have entered into a lease with us for one year and are bound to the terms of that agreement. We will collect your monthly rent and perform any necessary repairs that are our responsibility after you move in.
10. Are the monthly rent payments that I make applied to the purchase price of the home?
No. Monthly rent payments are not applied to the purchase price of the home.
11. How do I exercise my Right to Purchase?
You may notify us at any time that the Lease is in effect that you would like to exercise your Right to Purchase. However, you must provide us with that notice in writing at least 60 days before you want to complete the purchase.
12. Can I buy a home in the middle of a lease term?
You can exercise your Right to Purchase at any time during your Lease. However, you must provide us with written notice of your intent to exercise at least 60 days before you want the sale to close. In addition, the closing date must occur before the end of the applicable Lease term.
13. Do you provide me with a mortgage or other financing?
We will not provide or arrange a mortgage loan for you. We cannot guarantee that you will be able to obtain a mortgage loan if and when you wish to exercise the Right to Purchase.
14. Can I have pets in my home?
We allowed a maximum number of three (3) pets (cats or dogs) weighing less than 180 pounds in total combined weight. Prohibiting the following dog breeds (including partial mixes): Doberman, Pitbull, Rottweiler or Mastiff. Further, livestock/farm animal pets such as pigs, horses, chickens and goats, aquariums over 20 gallons, and exotic, venomous and verminous pets, are not allowed. In most states, there is a $300 nonrefundable per pet fee, refundable upon purchase of the home. Please note that although assistance animals are excluded the pet policy requirements, supporting documentation is required to qualify as such.